-By Stephen D. Foster Jr.
December 27, 2011- From the Supreme Court to the halls of Congress to governor’s mansions across the country, conservatives have ruthlessly pushed an agenda that has torn America asunder since 1980. As 2011 comes to a close, conservatives are still trying to push failed policies. This is a list of 15 individual conservatives that pose a significant threat to American society as we move into 2012 and beyond.
1. John Roberts) The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court leads four other conservative judges on the bench. Placed on the high court by President Bush, John Roberts has been influential in changing campaign finance laws (Citizens United) and has since ruled in favor of big corporations. And the conservative court isn’t through yet. Conservatives desire to overturn abortion, environmental laws, President Obama’s health care law, and voting rights laws, and you can bet that they are aiming to use the Supreme Court to do it.
2. Eric Cantor) The House Majority Leader has been very busy since his party took over the House in 2010. Cantor has proven that he has more power than John Boehner does, hence the fact that Boehner isn’t even on the list. Cantor is willing to do whatever it takes to slam every right-wing bill through Congress. He also has the backing of Tea Party House members. Cantor is still young, which means he could be a major player on the right for decades to come. It’s also likely that he could be the next Speaker of the House if the GOP keeps control after the 2012 Election.
3. Clarence Thomas) The second Supreme Court Justice to make the list has deep ties to the conservative movement. He has ties to Koch Industries and has received money from the Heritage Foundation and other conservative organizations. He has refused to recuse himself from cases that he has ties to and that is what makes him dangerous. Thomas ruled with the other conservatives in Citizens United even though he had a conflict of interest in that case as well. As long as he is on the bench with Roberts, outside influences can dictate how the conservative wing rules.
4. Mitch McConnell) He may be the Senate Minority Leader but that doesn’t make McConnell any less poisonous to America. He has led the effort to block and stall many important pieces of legislation in the Senate and has blocked Presidential nominees from taking their posts, leaving many departments leaderless. We’ll see more of the same thing in 2012.
5. Paul Ryan) The second member of the U.S. House of Representatives to make the list, Ryan is a major threat because he introduced legislation that would kill Medicare by privatizing it. Essentially, Ryan’s plan throws all American senior citizens under a speeding bus. Ryan isn’t an old man either. He could remain active in politics for decades, which means his ideas will still be around as well. Even if the people of Wisconsin don’t re-elect him to Congress, Ryan could still join any conservative think tank or organization, or become a lobbyist. They would love to have him too. Social Security, Medicaid, and Medicare are in danger as long as Ryan is around.
6. Scott Walker) The first of two governors on the list has been busy since he took office. The Governor of Wisconsin is on this list because he is an example of just how involved the Koch brothers are in shaping public policy. Under Walker’s “leadership” he has severely weakened labor unions and worker’s rights, weakened environmental laws, weakened pubic education, weakened voter rights, and has put public lands and facilities up for grabs as a way to increase privatization. Some of these facilities are of deep interest to the Koch brothers. As further evidence that Walker is basically a Koch slave, he took a fake call from a person pretending to be David Koch at the height of the collective bargaining debate. Walker could very well be recalled by the people of Wisconsin but Walker intends to sabotage that effort. Walker’s career in Wisconsin may not last beyond this year, but that doesn’t make him any less of a threat, as governors around the country are following his lead and he could always run for federal office later on.
7. Chris Christie) The Governor of New Jersey is the second governor on the list because he has been instrumental in weakening collective bargaining rights, public education, infrastructure, etc… Like Walker, Christie has put a lot of strain on the poor and middle class to benefit corporations and the wealthy. He is a shameless bully that abuses his position on a daily basis. Unlike Walker, however, Christie has his eye on the Presidency in 2016 and if you think Republicans don’t compromise with Democrats now, just imagine if Christie were in the White House. And that scenario is precisely why he is on the list.
8. Michele Bachmann) She is by far the craziest conservative serving in the House of Representatives and she is running for President which makes her a frightening politician and a dangerous one as well. And it looks like she will continue her Presidential bid deep into 2012. Bachmann is a major Christian Right Wing nut and she knows absolutely nothing about American history. She has already signed a pledge to persecute the LGBT community and has promised Christian fundamentalists that Christianity will play a dominant role in government if she is elected. Bachmann would also ban abortion for any reason and would make life hard for the unemployed and the poor. Stupid and crazy is never a good combination and Bachmann has both in spades.
9. Reince Priebus) The current Chairman of the RNC is the big reason why Wisconsin got saddled with Scott Walker as Governor and why Republicans control the legislature there. As Chairman of the RNC, he aims to screw over the United States as much as he screwed over Wisconsin. And the RNC is a major money player in national and state elections across the country. If he can architect a landslide victory for conservative extremists in Wisconsin, he can do the same nationally and that is why Priebus makes the list. That, and the fact that he once made a Freudian slip about assassinating President Obama.
10. Fred Upton) The Chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce is also a major Koch brothers lackey. As such, he is committed to ending the Environmental Protection Agency and giving the Koch brothers free rein to pollute the air, the water, and the land. Being in the pocket of the Kochs makes Upton a very dangerous player in Congress and as his term comes to a close, Upton will try to speed along his destructive Koch agenda.